The following information is intended for students currently enrolled in the GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program. If you are a new or prospective student and are interested in enrolling for the first time, learn how to enroll.
Welcome to all current and prospective certificate students! This page provides information about the program's sequencing and curriculum to ensure that you can effectively plan for your participation in the GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program.
We suggest that all students carefully review the GIS and Geospatial Technology Certificate Program online student handbook before the beginning of each academic term. The handbook is an evolving document that describes policies, guidelines, and practices that both formally and informally govern students within the certificate program. All enrolled students are expected to be familiar with the contents of the handbook.
Next Quarter: Fall 2023 (Begins October 2)
Let's begin by taking a look at the course offerings for the next academic quarter. Courses for the Summer 2023 quarter begin on July 3, and the following certificate courses will be offered (click the link for each course to start the enrollment process):
Annual Course Scheduling Plan
The GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program follows a pre-defined course schedule every academic year. The program's foundational course, Introduction to GIS, is taught every quarter, and the other four required courses are each taught every other quarter per the following schedule:
- GEOG XL 7: Introduction to GIS -- offered every academic quarter; four start dates per year
- GEOG XL 181A: Intermediate GIS -- offered every Spring quarter (begins April) and Fall quarter (begins October)
- GEOG XL 181B: Advanced GIS -- offered every Spring quarter (begins April) and Fall quarter (begins October)
- GEOG XL 180: Cartography -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July)
- GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July)
Academic Year 2023 - 2024 Quarter Course Start/End Dates
- Fall 2023: October 2 to December 17, 2023
Academic Year 2022 - 2023 Quarter Course Start/End Dates
- Fall 2022: September 26 to December 11, 2022
- Winter 2023: January 17 to March 26, 2023
- Spring 2023: April 10 to June 18, 2023
- Summer 2023: July 3 to September 10, 2023
Information posted on this page is subject to change and revision.