The following information is intended for students currently enrolled in the GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program. If you are a new or prospective student and are interested in enrolling for the first time, learn how to enroll.
Welcome to all current certificate and specialization students! This page provides information about the program's sequencing and curriculum to ensure that you can effectively plan for your participation in the GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program.
Next Quarter: Summer 2019 (Begins July 1)
Let's begin by taking a look at the course offerings for the next academic quarter. Courses for the Summer 2019 quarter begin on July 1, and the following certificate courses will be offered (click the link for each course to start the enrollment process):
- GEOG XL 7: Introduction to GIS
- GEOG XL 167: Cartography
- GEOG XL 173: GIS Programming (last offering; being replaced by GIS Databases going forward)
- GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS (first offering; replacing GIS Programming going forward)
Annual Course Scheduling Plan
The GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program follows a pre-defined course schedule every academic year. The program's foundational course, Introduction to GIS, is taught every quarter, and the other four required courses are each taught every other quarter per the following schedule:
- GEOG XL 7: Introduction to GIS -- offered every academic quarter; four start dates per year
- GEOG XL 168: Intermediate GIS -- offered every Spring quarter (begins April) and Fall quarter (begins October)
- GEOG XL 170: Advanced GIS -- offered every Spring quarter (begins April) and Fall quarter (begins October)
- GEOG XL 167: Cartography -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July)
- GEOG XL 173: GIS Programming -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July), ending Summer 2019
- GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July), beginning Summer 2019
Academic Year 2018 - 2019 Quarter Start/End Dates
- Fall 2018: October 1 to December 9, 2018
- Winter 2019: January 14 to March 24, 2019
- Spring 2019: April 8 to June 16, 2019
- Summer 2019: July 1 to September 8, 2019
Academic Year 2019 - 2020 Quarter Start/End Dates
- Fall 2019: October 7 to December 15, 2019
- Winter 2020: January 13 to March 22, 2020
- Spring 2020: April 6 to June 14, 2020
- Summer 2020: June 29 to September 6, 2020
Curriculum Change Beginning in Spring 2019
Beginning with the current Spring 2019 quarter, new certificate students will be required to complete GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS (a new course) instead of GEOG XL 173: GIS Programming. We are making this change to ensure that students who complete the certificate remain optimally prepared for entry-level GIS employment, for which experience in working with enterprise geodatabases is often very helpful. This new course will provide students with useful and highly marketable knowledge and skills related to the design, management, and collaborative use of geospatial database management systems.
Both GEOG XL 173: GIS Programming and GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS will be offered during the upcoming Summer 2019 quarter, and currently-enrolled certificate students who have not yet completed GIS Programming may choose to complete either course to satisfy program requirements. After Summer 2019, GIS Programming will no longer be offered on a regular basis, and students who have not yet completed either course will be required to take GIS Databases in order to earn the certificate.
Students who have already completed GEOG XL 173: GIS Programming are not required to complete this new course in order to earn the certificate, though GIS Databases may be taken as an additional elective course (i.e., GIS Databases may not be taken in place of any other required courses in the certificate program.)
Information posted on this page is subject to change and revision.