The following information is intended for students currently enrolled in the GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program. If you are a new or prospective student and are interested in enrolling for the first time, learn how to enroll.
Welcome to all current and prospective certificate students! This page provides information about the program's sequencing and curriculum to ensure that you can effectively plan for your participation in the GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program.
We suggest that all students carefully review the GIS and Geospatial Technology Certificate Program online student handbook before the beginning of each academic term. The handbook is an evolving document that describes policies, guidelines, and practices that both formally and informally govern students within the certificate program. All enrolled students are expected to be familiar with the contents of the handbook.
Next Quarter: Summer 2022 (Begins June 27)
Let's begin by taking a look at the course offerings for the next academic quarter. Courses for the Summer 2022 quarter begin on June 27, and the following certificate courses will be offered (click the link for each course to start the enrollment process):
- GEOG XL 7: Introduction to GIS
- GEOG XL 180: Cartography
- GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS
Annual Course Scheduling Plan
The GIS and Geospatial Technology certificate program follows a pre-defined course schedule every academic year. The program's foundational course, Introduction to GIS, is taught every quarter, and the other four required courses are each taught every other quarter per the following schedule:
- GEOG XL 7: Introduction to GIS -- offered every academic quarter; four start dates per year
- GEOG XL 181A: Intermediate GIS -- offered every Spring quarter (begins April) and Fall quarter (begins October)
- GEOG XL 181B: Advanced GIS -- offered every Spring quarter (begins April) and Fall quarter (begins October)
- GEOG XL 180: Cartography -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July)
- GEOG X 191C: GIS Databases and Enterprise GIS -- offered every Winter quarter (begins January) and Summer quarter (begins July)
Academic Year 2021 - 2022 Quarter Course Start/End Dates
- Fall 2021: September 27 to December 12, 2021
- Winter 2022: January 10 to March 20, 2022
- Spring 2022: April 4 to June 12, 2022
- Summer 2022: June 27 to September 4, 2022
Information posted on this page is subject to change and revision.